Our catchment covers an area of over 700 square miles and contains more than 3,114 miles of watercourses.
As well as the Ribble we look after the Calder, Hodder, Darwen, and Douglas sub-catchment. This means that we not only look after all these rivers, but all the rivers, streams, and becks that flow into them.
Across this area is a really diverse and varied types of habitat, from farm land, to woodland, to cities and industrial areas. This variety of habitats means there is huge variety of fish, mammals and invertebrates that call this area their home.
In the past, industrial and agricultural pollution as well as water abstraction for drinking water and poor sewage treatment have caused severe habitat damage to the Ribble catchment, to such an extent that the wildlife supported by the river has been put under threat.
The Trust was established to improve the water environments of the catchment, by restoring and protecting the river to make sure that current and future generations can enjoy the beauty of its wildlife and fauna.
In the last 21 years the Trust has;
- Addressed 58 river blocking barriers such as dams and weirs which has made an extra 600 km of river available for fish and other species.
- Created 33 eel passes which have made it easier for the protected European eel to move around the catchment.
- Delivered river themed education sessions in over 90 schools, speaking to over 7,000 children.
- Delivered 10 farm advice projects which have helped farmers and landowners across the catchment reduce pollution and create new habitats.
- Planted over 150,000 trees over 180 hectares, with help from our wonderful volunteers.
- Restored 640 hectares of peat moorland, helping to lock up carbon and mitigate climate change.
- Surveyed, recorded, and monitored river health at over 350 sites annually.
- Delivered 1,000s of volunteer days teaching people a wide variety of practical skills, as well as giving training in specific fields such as species identification.
Charity number: 1070672
The Ribble Rivers Trust is the trading name of the Ribble Catchment Conservation Trust Ltd.